Sunday, August 8, 2010

True Blood: Night on the Sun by Tina Charles

How nasty, dirty and insane (in a good way) is True Blood? There's so much that goes on during "Night On the Sun" that at the beginning of the episode everything seems dire in Bill and Sookie's world and it looks like the two lovers will be apart forever. Yet by the end the ex-couple is having hot and heavy makeup sex in Gran's house. And it's actually plausible how the two get from A to B. At the beginning Eric is kneeling before Russell and by the end the sexy vamp is getting rid of Russell's whiny BF Talbot while they're going at it mind you. We definitely know how Eric gets from A to B in that situation. I love episodes that take us for a rollercoaster ride. Besides the sex and violence, there are some seriously angsting women (Sookie, Tara, Arlene and Jessica); a sizable amount of guy on guy action (Lafayette/Jesus and Eric/Talbot), a healthy dose of crazy (Ruby Jean and Debbie) plus tons of blood thanks to more deaths, a scissor-slashing, werewolf maulings, a stake in the back and I can't forget all the crocodile tears of blood.

Scenes I love:

  • Bill releases Jessica and she won't go. Jessica is scared and she's still so new to the vampire thing that I don't blame her. I'm glad Bill listens to her even though he's screwed up all to hell.
  • Tara and Lafayette in the bedroom. I like that Tara's showing the effects of what happened between her and Franklin. She admits she fought like a motherf----r to survive. It's good to know she doesn't have a death wish like she did in the Season 3 premiere.
  • Alcide and Sookie have a couple of moments. I love anytime these two are in a scene together. True Blood has totally turned me into a Joseph Mangianello fan. One Tree Hill couldn't do it, but this HBO vampire/werewolf show did. And I'm happy about it. First Alcide and Sookie are talking and he ends up comforting her by stroking her hair. It's a small gesture but you can tell they're attracted to each other. And later Alcide has to go take care of his sister after he learns Debbie and her crew trashed his sister's salon. They say goodbye and there's this moment where it looks like they're about to kiss but they don't. I feel it's too soon for them, but the moment's sweet.
  • Arlene's dream. Wow, who knew we would finally get another glimpse of Arlene's late ex, Rene. The serial killer popped up in her dreams creepily rubbing her tummy and talking about how his baby is going to finish the job he started. Poor Arlene. I wonder if this is going to cause her to take care of things in the future?
  • Sookie and Tara sunbathe. The best friends reminisce and have a moment until the topic of Bill comes up. Those two need to not about Bill. Tara calls Sookie a dumb b--ch if she goes back to her ex-vampire boyfriend. Sookie says she and Bill aren't that different.
  • Sam comforts Tara. It's unfortunately too quick of a scene, Tara is freaking out at Merlotte's and Sam walks in on it and she ends up crying in his arms. I love when Sam Trammell and Rutina Wesley are in scenes together.
  • Jesus comes to pick up Ruby Jean. Lafayette's mom refuses to go back to the home saying she needs to protect her son because of his power. Jesus says he won't let anything happen to Lafayette. I love that. Was he just appeasing Ruby Jean when he agreed that Lafayette's powerful? Or does he know something?
  • Jessica and Bill spar. Bill training Jessica is so cool. And I like that the two open up to each other. Bill talks about Sookie and Jessica tells Bill about loving Hoyt. Bill/Jessica scenes are among my favorite.
  • Jesus kisses Lafayette. I like that Jesus wants to protect Lafayette. Someone needs to take care of him for a change. Much like everyone else on this show, he's had it rough as of late. The two are just cute together.
  • Shirtless Eric. Need I say more? I don't think so.
  • Jessica kills Gus the werewolf: Don't mess with Jessica. Russell thought Gus (Don Swayze) was going to rip Jessica to shreds. Turns out it's the other way around. So both Bill and Jessica take care of a couple of werewolves.
  • Sookie and Debbie smackdown: The fight between Sookie and Debbie is a vicious one which is awesome. Sookie gets away from Debbie by slashing her face with some scissors. Wish Sookie had done more. That Debbie's tres annoying.
  • Eric kills Talbot: Eric takes revenge on Russell by killing his "family." Stakes him in the back. Ouch. I feel bad that Talbot's a casualty of war. He was growing on me as a character even though he could be a bit too whiny. Killing Talbot also served as a way for Russell to stop the beat down he had going on with Bill. He fled Gran's house once he felt Talbot die.
  • Bill and Sookie have makeup sex. Well I think it's makeup sex. It's a pretty vicious bout of sex. We'll have to see the fallout next episode. Will Sookie be the dumb b---h Tara said she would be if she went back to Bill?
What I didn't like:
  • Anything with Jason and Crystal. Crystal shows up at Jason's wet with a black eye and in need of help. She tells Jason she broke up with her brute of a fiance. Jason tells her she makes him feel like he's home. I'm just not buying it. I think he likes the mystery of her. I think he likes the fact that she needs him. Right now she gives him purpose. Well, anything that gets him off his Bill vendetta is good I guess.
  • Tommy tells Hoyt Jessica's way out of his league. I want to like Tommy I do. And because of Sam I always start to, but then Tommy ends up doing something to ruin that good will of mine. This time he goes after Hoyt. He tells Hoyt Jessica's done with him and that he's out of his league.
  • Jason goes after Crystal's fiance. I hate to keep picking on Jason but I just don't like this story. I'm glad he found someone he can actually try to help but it's just not interesting me. He goes to their house and he finds some sort of man (I say sort of because while he looks human he doesn't act like one) going to town on some dead animal. His mouth is all bloody and disgusting. Jason gets out of there and runs into Crystal's dad and lays down the law.


Questions

  • Is Tara going through some sort of Stockholm Syndrome thing with Franklin? After all, she did have that erotic dream where Franklin shows up while she's taking a shower.
  • What is up with Lafayette? Is he special? His crazy mom Ruby Jean breaks out of the home saying she wants to protect him because "they're" coming for him. Who's "they?" Does she really mean vampires and witches? And Jesus says dealing drugs is dangerous for someone like Lafayette. "All that energy you've got. It can go dark if you like." What does Jesus know?
Random Thoughts

  • Merlotte's new waitress is kind of creepy looking.
  • Hadley relays Eric's message to Sookie. She warns her cousin that Russell's after her and to not trust Bill. Of course Sookie doesn't listen.
  • Talbot starts to shatter Russell's collection. Love how Eric stops him from breaking his family's crown.
  • Something's up with Crystal's family. Her dad can sense Sam's a shapeshifter.
Racy yet Awesome Lines

Debbie: "She's a c--t."
Russell: "But she's a special c--t."

Ruby Jean: "TV's all f------s and murderers and Hos, Jesus."


Other favorite lines

Sookie: "If I knew what was best for me I would have fallen in love with someone like you."
Alcide: "Back at you. It's too bad we're so stupid, huh?"

Jessica: "No way."
Bill: "Way."

Talbot (to Eric): "I'm bored. Take off your clothes."

Eric: "It's been a long time since I've done this."
Talbot: "A man?"
Eric: "No, a vampire."

No comments:

Post a Comment