Sunday, August 1, 2010

Drop Dead Diva: Queen of Mean by Kara Howland

I love Cybill Shepherd and I am so glad she had a meaty role. She plays a Queen of Mean, nicknamed CruEllie Deville. Her former assistant Dawn is publishing a tell-all book and Ellie wants to put a stop to it. This brings to mind a real life incident. As I’m sure a lot of you remember, Lauren Weisberger used to work for Anna Wintour. After she quit or was fired (I don’t really remember the details) she published a tell-all book in the form of a novel. If you didn’t read it, you may remember a little movie called The Devil Wears Prada. Now, I used to work in publishing and I’ve heard Ms. Wintour is tough. And after seeing The September Issue (put it in your netflix queue immediately if you have any interest in fashion) I don't dispute that. But I also think she’s a genius. Don’t get me wrong, I’d never want to work for her but I can certainly respect her.

And back to the case. When Jane gets the real story out of Dawn we learn that the only reason she went to work for Ellie in the first place is so that she could write a tell-all. And after Ellie publicly dumps Jane and drops the case, Jane discovers that Ellie wanted the publicity from the trial. She’s launching a discount line and suddenly she’s relevant again with the court case. When Ellie finds out Dawn is planning to expose her medical history she returns to Jane. And since the charges were never dismissed, the trial resumes. It turns out Dawn forged Ellie’s signature to get access to Ellie’s medical files. She knows that Ellie has a degenerative eye disease – she’s going blind – and Dawn is putting that in her book. The judge won’t prevent the book from being published but she awards Ellie’s damages that will prevent the publisher from printing it. And when Dawn threatens to write about it anyway, Jane reminds her that she could file charges with the D.A. to get Dawn thrown in jail for the forgery. Somehow, it doesn’t seem so worth it now.

In the meantime, Kim and Grayson have taken on a very tricky case. Their client Alison, the wonderful and talented Candis Cayne, is being sued by her spouse’s parents. Melanie died and her parents want all of Melanie’s things. Even though Alison was a man when she married Melanie, they have a problem since the state of California doesn’t recognize same sex unions. Since Kim has DNA evidence that Alison is still a man she wants to use that in court to win their case but Alison won’t allow it. Alison feels it negates all she went through and all she’s become. And even though the federal government and multinational corporations recognized their union, the state of California won’t.

Seeing that Grayson is distressed, Jane gives him the ammunition he needs to win the case and the judge rules in Alison’s favor. But the more important consequence of this case – at least for this show – is that Grayson sees that Alison and Melanie were soulmates. He recognizes that true love knows no boundaries. And just as Jane finds the courage to tell Grayson that she’s Deb, Fred interrupts. He tells her that if Grayson is her soulmate, he has to fall in love with her as Jane. She just needs to give him a chance.

I thought I’d save the most fun part of the show for last. You know what I’m talking about: The Thunder From Down Under. It’s funny because a few of my friends have been mentioning The Thunder From Down Under to me and I’ve been at a loss. I do remember them visiting The Ellen Degeneres Show (before she became an Idol judge and then I had to give it up because it seemed like she talked about Idol every freaking day; I’m so glad that chapter’s over). And what a welcome surprise they are in Jane’s dream. The not-so-welcome surprise is Hank, the bailiff who has a thing for old-Jane. Stacy somehow convinces Jane to invite Hank to a spontaneous dinner party. They are all pretty surprised when Hank shows up with Jasmine, his girlfriend. During the course of dinner Stacy and Hank do Pee Wee Herman impressions back and forth across the table but Stacy (thanks to a few too many drinks) lets it slip that Jane had a dream about Hank. The night ends rather abruptly after that. But I do have to side with Stacy here. She has the right intentions if not the right execution. It is time for Jane to start dating again. It’s no fun to watch her pine after Grayson (which, thank God, she didn't do this week) and even though I enjoyed her relationship with Tony immensely, it’s time to get back out there. I know I mentioned it before but I’m mentioning it again. I’d love to see her land a sexy older man. I hear Harry Hamlin might be available.

Lately there always seems to be a few things I don’t really enjoy about the show so I’ll get them off my chest here:

- Why is Mrs. Walters so hateful? I know there are people who can’t accept same sex couples. But just because she doesn’t seem to get what Alison and Melanie meant to each other doesn’t mean she has the right to be so spiteful. I know there would have been no case without her, but I didn’t like the way her character was written. And I’m sure I’m not alone when I saw Mr. Walter’s feeling were apparent from the first camera shot.
- Was I the only one who absolutely hated that Ellie Tannen scarf? I didn’t find it fashionable at all. I can’t image Angelina, or any high profile personality, wearing any of Ellie’s clothes.

Thoughts? Share them below.

No comments:

Post a Comment