Sunday, August 15, 2010

True Blood: Everything is Broken by Kara Howland

Tommy provokes Sam into losing control. I don’t know about you but I’m over this story line. Before tonight I thought it was kinda boring but now I want to be done with it. Tommy is a no-good brat. He has no manners, he’s a thief, and he rubs everyone the wrong way. The fact that he could provoke Sam to such violence is disturbing. And I think Sam is going to pay for that outburst. Crystal’s daddy is going come back for Sam and it won’t be good.

Arlene doesn’t want to keep her baby. After Tommy steals Arlene’s tip, Holly tries to comfort her. Arlene admits that Terry ain’t the baby daddy and that what she’s carrying inside of her is a time bomb. When Holly asks if Arlene wants to keep the baby, Arlene admits that she doesn’t. She says she won’t go to a clinic but Holly says there are other ways to take care of it.

Eric and Pam are on lock down. When Eric flies to Fangtasia and admits he staked Talbot, Pam comments that she’s never seen Eric panicked. Since Eric took a vampire’s life he has every right to be scared. Pam says the best place they can hide is in a human’s house – maybe Sookie – but Eric isn’t having any of that. And before they can leave Nan Flannigan and the V Fed desend on them. Eric tells them the whole story – who Russell is, what Russell did to his family, how Russell gives his blood to werewolves, etc. The authority later disavows all knowledge and tells Eric to take care of it, but with his own resources.

Russell returns home to find Talbot’s entrails on the floor. He’s pretty heartbroken and gathers up Talbot’s remains. We’re not sure why until we see the remains in a glass urn. Kinda gross, but I guess Russell needs something to talk to. He thinks the AVL (American Vampire League) is protecting Eric and that doesn’t sit well with him. Russell reigns havoc and vengeance down on them when reveals his agenda on live TV and after ripping the spine out of the newscaster who was on previously. Russell tells the world he is the true face of vampires. He drinks blood from humans and thinks human’s are beneath him. Nan’s got her work cut out for her.

Crystal is a liar. It’s something we already know but I’m getting tired of all her lies. She lies to her family and she lies to Jason. When Crystal is discovered at Jason’s house she tells her fiancé that Jason kidnapped her and then she says Jason raped her. Yes, she did it to avoid a beating from her fiancé. In fact, when he turns his back she clocks him with the butt of Jason’s shotgun. She trusses him up real good and they leave him by the side of the road after calling the police. The only problem is that he somehow gets loose and almost kills deputy Kevin. Jason doesn’t seem to know what’s going on (no surprise there) but there’s a lot Crystal isn’t telling Jason. And it’s past time for her to come clean.

Hoyt can’t stand his new girlfriend. Jessica is upset when she sees Hoyt with Summer. She asks him why he can’t go somewhere else but Hoyt reminds her that Bon Temps is his town and he’s been coming to Merlottes for years. When Summer goes to the bathroom, we learn that Summer loves dolls (which Hoyt hates) and that she only talks about herself. But it’s better then sitting around thinking about Jessica all the time.

Bill says he knows what Sookie is. I don’t know if they’re back together or not but their time in the shower together and their disposal of a dead body certain has them working as a team again. I, for one, don’t need them to figure things out yet. I like them together and I like them apart. I think I’m happy either way. The most interesting – shocking, really – part is when Bill ends up in the dreamplace Sookie went a few episodes ago. He meets Claudine and she assumes Bill has killed Sookie. Bill assures her he hasn’t and tries to convince her he doesn’t want Sookie’s light. But he tells Claudine he needs to know what Sookie is so that she can protect herself.

Sookie’s cousin Hadley kidnaps her own son. She tells Sookie she’s sorry she told Queen Sophie Ann and Eric about her and now she’s scared for her son Hunter. She thinks he might be like Sookie, which Sookie confirms. Hadley freaks out and drags Hunter out of there – presumably to go on the run. I guess we’ll see.

Tara refuses to see a shrink to discuss what’s happened to her. She goes to a group instead, where she sees Holly. Holly is a rape survivor. She gives the group a few details of the assault and tells them she still thinks people are worth trusting. We can see that really resonates with Tara.

An un-dead Franklin finds Tara. I knew he wasn’t dead. Even though Tara did a great job of beating his head in I knew he’d be back. And I’m so impressed that Tara stood up for herself. She tells Franklin she wants him to kill her. That way she’ll be rid of him for good and he’ll have nothing. That really sets him off and he starts choking her. When Jason interrupts with his shotgun I’m not too impressed. When he pulls the trigger and Franklin explodes that’s another matter. He has enough of a brain to use wooden bullets. Good job Jason. And now that’s the end of Franklin.

In the only happy development, Jesus and Lafayette are deep in a love haze. Well, maybe a lust haze. I’m happy Lafayette has something good in his life. His mama running away from the home turns out to be a good think when Jesus turns up to retrieve her. I like where their relationship is going and I hope it continues to be a good thing for them both. But this is True Blood, so I’m not holding my breath.

Another great episode. I’ve always enjoyed this show but this season I feel really engaged. The only storyline I hate is Sam’s, even though I love his character. So as soon as the Mickens get the heck out of dodge – and permanently – I think I can return to enjoying Sam more. The vampire mythology we keep learning is always interesting and I’m very happy we’re about to learn what Sookie is. I wouldn’t mind seeing a bit more of Alcide in future episodes (and I know he’s a regular next season) but otherwise I’m pretty happy. Even if sometimes it seems like this show will run off the rails it usually pulls itself back just in the nick of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment