Saturday, August 14, 2010

Lite Bite Top Chef: Kenny is Eliminated by Kara Howland

I just watched this week's episode. Now I know a lot of people think Kenny has a huge ego - I'm not disputing that - and the judges have mentioned more than once that he needs to edit his dishes. And even if Team 2121 was the losing team in this week's restaurant wars, I still think the judges sent the wrong chef home.

From what we saw, it looks like Alex had almost no hand in preparing any of the food. Yes, he was asked to butcher the lamb (which Angelo had to redo because Alex was screwing it up). Yes, he was asked to prepare the fish (which Tiffany had to redo because it was still scaly and boney when Alex got through with it). So what did Alex do other then harass the wait staff and tell the judge's they'd be eating pork when they were actually eating lamb? A whole bunch of nothing. But I think Amanda should have been up on the chopping block too. It sounds like her one dish was almost inedible; the beef was overdone and the greens were horrible. Why didn't she get put up on the block? I'm trying to remember if Top Chef has always sent the team leader home from the losing team during restaurant wars. Do you guys know? I would have been more than okay with Amanda going home since Alex was "safe" this week. I'm not quite sure why Amanda's still in the competition. I think she's been safe in the middle (or near the bottom). She needs to step it up or be sent home.

But let's revisit Alex for a moment. It seems like he's aware that his team had absolutely no confidence in him. And if that was the case he should have fought to prepare something of his own just in case Evoo was the losing restaurant. Having a hand in prep isn't nearly the same as preparing a dish. And Padma was very clear that each team member had to prepare a dish. For whatever reason, the culinary Gods have chosen to keep Alex in this competition but that had better end pretty soon. I want to see him step up and prepare an amazing dish (hopefully not involving a pea puree) or be sent packing.

I would have liked to see "the beast" hang around for a few more episodes. I don't think Kenny would have won the competition but his rivalry with Angelo was great for watercooler talk. Somehow, I think Angelo might be a little less compelling next week. I will definitely tune in to find out.

Want to know what Kenny really thought about this elimination? Check this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment