Monday, August 23, 2010

The Big C: Summer Time by Kara Howland

Well, I liked this week’s episode more than I liked the premiere. That is definitely saying something.

Cathy is an interesting character. She’s been diagnosed with Stage 4 skin cancer yet she’s recently taken up smoking. She’s a teacher who is kind of a know-it-all (but not in a bad way) yet she doesn’t know that much about what those around her really need. I think she’s trying to do right by her son and her student Andrea, but I’m not sure they can be “fixed.” Cathy’s also trying to fix her relationship with herself, which I find the most compelling story. I like that she’s done putting up with the things that drive her crazy. She’s going to turn her son into a good man. She’s going to turn Andrea into a healthy young woman. I’m not sure there’s anything she can do about Sean or Paul, but I do think she’s trying to put some quality time into those relationships to make them work. And, I guess, she’s putting her true self into her visits with Doctor Todd.

There is absolutely potential in this show and I think it’s just starting to be realized. I like the humor here and even though I don’t like Oliver Platt’s character, he plays him well and makes him really funny. It’s unintentional, but it’ s still funny. I’m very interested to see where this will go so I’ll keep watching (but not writing) for at least for a few more episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment