Wednesday, August 18, 2010

First Watch The Big C: Pilot by Kara Howland

It’s taking everything in my power to not write this as a snap judgment. Everything. In. My. Power. Now, don’t get me wrong. I love Laura Linney. She is luminous and raw and brave and harrowing. Not necessarily in this, but in films and television shows in the past. And she’s absolutely the best thing in this mess of a show.

Let’s talk about what I didn’t like: Oliver Platt’s Paul is a baby and she calls him on it. She even tells her son she only wants to raise one child and she picks him, which is why his father no longer lives with them. Her son Adam is such a spoiled brat that he pretends to be a thief, then pretends to cut his own finger off, and finally he won’t plunge the toilet after he stops it up. Oh, and he screams like a girl. Her brother Sean is strange. He’s homeless by choice and is kind of an eco-terrorist. I mean, we haven’t seem him do anything violent (yet) but he’s very confrontational.

Let’s talk about what I kinda like: Marlene starts out as an unpleasant neighbor who calls the police on Cathy but ends up as someone who is probably going to be a great friend. After years of living her life to die, Marlene seems to finally have awoken. Gabby Sidibe’s Andrea is a mean girl who Cathy wants to help turn into a skinny b*tch. Cathy tells her she’s give her $100 for every pound she loses, as long as she stops smoking. Apparently, every cigarette you smoke takes six months off your life. Cathy is full of these fun little facts. Cathy’s oncologist Dr. Todd seems like he’s a good doctor. Cathy is his first terminal case. I think he’s handling pretty well but considering her attitude I’m not sure how he could be handling it better.

I’d like to have dessert and alcohol at every meal. Well, that’s not true. I’d love dessert with every meal. If I have to have cancer in order to do that, as Liz Lemon would say that’s a deal breaker. I find her attitude about her cancer very strange and yet kind of refreshing. It’s her choice whether or not to tell anyone about her condition and she’s chosen to keep it to herself. She’s finally breaking out of her “boring” and “nice” mold and living her life. Now, it’s preferable to do that before you get a death sentence but at least she’s doing what she wants to do.

I will give this at least one more episode and, frankly, it’s only because of Laura Linney. Please oh please make it a good one.

I do realize there is a possibility I am in the minority here as the season premiere broke some records. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment