Monday, August 30, 2010

Drop Dead Diva: Bad Girls & Freeze the Day by Kara Howland

Sorry I didn’t get this up right away. I worked the Emmy red carpet yesterday and I was too exhausted to watch any TV. But I’m here now and I’ve got opinions!

Wow. My first opinion is that the past two hours are the best two hours of the show I’ve ever seen. Hands down. This is the kind of writing and acting I want to see on this show every week. I’m not saying I don’t already love this show because I do. But I think these last two episodes really showcased how amazing this show can be.

Let’s do the highlights then explore deeper. Parker’s former bedmate and current partner Claire Harrison returns to the firm after an eight-year absence. She left the firm to get married after she fell in love and now she’s back to get a divorce and to start practicing law again. She fakes evidence and fires Kim, who breaks up with Parker. Grayson meets the parents and admits that he’s scared of a future with Vanessa. She appreciates the honesty but breaks up with him. Grayson doesn’t want to lose another important woman in his life so he proposes. Fred asks Stacy out on another date but Stacy is afraid that they’ll burn out quickly if they start out too hot and heavy. Worried that he doesn’t care, Stacy makes him jealous until he admits how much he does care. Jane, once again resolving to tell Grayson who she really is, picks the time and place and even daydreams about their wedding. But before she can tell Grayson anything he asks Jane to be his best man. Upset, Jane runs out of the restaurant and when Grayson follows after her he’s hit by a car. When he regains consciousness momentarily, Grayson calls her Deb.

I’m leaving out a lot of details on purpose because I want to talk about relationships much more then the actual details of all the cases. Let’s start with Kim and Parker. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I really enjoy this relationship. When it started I was very nervous. It’s always a tricky proposition to be involved with the boss and I was worried Kim’s reputation and the work environment would be negatively affected. But they’ve seemed to make it work and I like that Parker is different with her. He really cares about her and was striving to make it seem like he had no bias. And I think he was succeeding. Should he have told Kim about the kiss? Absolutely but I don’t think he had a hidden agenda in keeping it from Kim. I think he was scared to tell her. He’s scared to mess up this great thing he’s got going. But silence can be the death of something. Even though Kim and Parker are apart now I don’t think it will be a permanent separation.

Fred and Stacy. They are adorable. I’m so happy Stacy decided to give Fred a chance. And I really like the way their relationship is progressing. I love that he’s jealous and even though Terri tries to get Fred to be Zen about it all he can’t fake it. He’s jealous. But that’s what Stacy wants. She’s not used to guys like Fred. She probably hasn’t had someone who cares about her like this for a long time. And she’s insecure too. She’s worried that Fred doesn’t care. But I think these two crazy kids will make it and in the meantime it’s fun watching their relationship evolve.

Jane and Grayson. Where to start. Even Grayson admits that they have a connection, which is why he asks Jane to stand up for him at his wedding. What I think is the most confounding thing about their relationship (aside from the fact that Deb inhabits Jane’s body and can't tell him) is that Jane always manages to talk Grayson into something without knowing what she’s doing. Every time she gives Grayson a speech it seems to send him running into the arms of another woman. Jane thinks she’s making a case for herself but she never is. Grayson always takes her little pearls of wisdom and applies them to his other relationships. But how would he know? Jane can’t tell him she’s Deb so he has to believe they’re forging a friendship and nothing else. And Jane is pretty good at hiding her feelings by now. I’m sure these soul mates will get together one day but I’m assuming there will be at least one more season of the whole will-they-or-won’t-they thing. If it’s too easy for these two to get together, I guess a lot of people would lose interest. Not me. But I guess that’s what they’re thinking. And by them I mean the writers and the network.

Ok. Now I’m ready to talk about the cases. Well, I really want to talk about Gail O’Grady and Gloria Reuben. It is so nice to see both of them on the small screen again. Gail is very convincing as a cyber bully. I feel so sorry for her daughter. Can you imagine growing up with a mother like that? She let her own child take the blame for something she did. That’s some bad parenting. And Gloria Reuben. I’m sure she’s worked since ER, but that was the last show I saw her on and I loved her character. Here she plays a woman who can’t imagine life without her husband. The irony is that her research could help bring him back. I’m glad Grayson and Jane convince her to continue to live her life. She's got to be awake to make that discovery.

Terri and Stacy are awesome as always. I know I’m not giving them their due here, but I can’t even imagine this show without them. They are great comic relief and have also shown us some great dramatic work.

And I have to mention both the opening song and dance number, which I found highly enjoyable. Actually, I like it every time there is song and dance. It makes me smile. And an honorable mention goes out to Paula Abdul. I like her on this show.

What did you think? Will Grayson be ok? Will Kim and Parker get back together? Did Fred know Grayson was going to get hit by that car? I hope to find out on the next season of Drop Dead Diva.

No comments:

Post a Comment