Saturday, June 12, 2010

So You Think You Can Dance: Vegas Week, Part 2 by Kara Howland

Back in the day, I couldn’t stand the audition shows. I feel like they’ve gotten better in the last few years so I guess I can’t complain too loudly. I’m always excited to arrive at Vegas Week because I know we’re going to see some amazing dancing. And I haven’t been disappointed yet. I didn’t appreciate the entire second hour of tonight’s show – I mean how long do they need to drag this out – but I’m happy with the results. Let’s meet our top 11. . . hey, not so fast.

Only 58 dancers remain after we started the week with 122. And the rules have changed this year. I know you know this, but I’m going to write it down anyway. Starting this season, there will now be a top 10 instead of a top 20. Dancers from past seasons – SYTYCD Allstars will be paired up with the newbies to help them showcase a particular style of dance. I don’t know about you but I’m pretty excited about this change. I think it will make for some amazing dancing.

Broadway is the next round. I think I might have a prejudice against this genre. Sometimes I love it and I think it’s fun but sometimes I’m bored and I want to tune out. But before we get to that, Ida Saki has asked to talk to the judges. It looks like she’s been struggling through auditions even though her original audition was so strong. Ida tells Cat she’s withdrawing from the competition because of her summer commitments. May she’s being responsible but I feel like it’s s cop out. Not happy.

Tyce takes the remaining dancers through the choreography. Ok, this looks like a really fun piece. I’m pleasantly surprised and the judges are loving Adrian and Lauren. And some of our other favorites breeze through this round. It’s kinda nice to see happy dancers since the ballroom round was so brutal. Toni scared me. But I think the dancers need to learn now how demanding this business can be. Ten more dancers are cut from this round.

Ida get her moment on stage to tell the panel she’s withdrawing. Nigel gives her a hard time, which I’m happy about. He believes she’s withdrawing because she’s been getting some pretty harsh criticism. And when they ask her if she’d give up her spot if she made it into the top ten and she says yes, it’s all over. You can see how surprised and disappointed they are and I am too.

47 remaining dancers are broken into groups and they pick a CD at random. Each CD contains a different style of music and their challenge is to choreograph a routine to the genre they’re given. This doesn’t happen until 7 pm and they only have until 6 am the next day to choreograph and master their piece. Sleep is optional. I usually don’t enjoy this part of Vegas week. I know it’s important to see how the group works together and whether or not they can put together a good routine. I don’t want to see the fighting and fatigue but I guess it’s good television.

Group One: Great energy. Mary feels it’s inspiring and passionate. Adam loves the group. Nigel tells them they’re all on his favorite list. They all make it through and head off to the pool to celebrate.

Group Two: Two of the dancers have been clashing and it’s causing problems. They definitely had time issues and work past 3:30 am. The performance is weird. I don’t hate it but it just doesn’t feel strong. Adam thinks it was uneventful and didn’t highlight strengths. Mary thinks it was just ok. Lil C wasn’t a fan. Despite all the bad feedback, the entire group makes it through.

We see a montage of all but the last group. Some of them are great. Some aren’t good at all. By noon 8 more dancers are cut. Now we’re down to 34.

The last group is full of judge favorites, including Billy Bell, and they are a disaster. What was that? I didn’t get it at all. Adam calls it a disaster of epic proportions. Tyce says they should have been the best group. Nigel calls it crap. He wanted them to feel the music. They had no heart. The judges have a discussion as the dancers sweat it out. They’re safe but a cranky Nigel orders them off the stage.

With 39 dancers left it’s time for contemporary with Travis Wall. As Travis takes them through choreography the piece looks really challenging. Two Latin dancers – Cristina and Giselle – are struggling. Cristina makes it through but Giselle doesn’t. Mary cries as she critiques Giselle and Giselle is disappointed that she’s let them down.

Nicole Knudson – dubbed Marge Simpson for her crazy hair – is also cut during this round. She thinks she’ll be able to handle it next year so I guess we’ll see more from her then. Anthony Burrell is still struggling with his injury and he’s worried about this round. He’s in the same group at Alex Cho and Kent Boyd. My heart kind of dropped when I realized this. I think Kent is great but I expect both Alex and Anthony to blow him out of the water with their technique. Wow. I’m so glad Kent was able to hold his own. I saw his joy and even though he has confidence problems, the judges are very complimentary. I mean, I was touched and surprised that Kent brought Lil C to tears.

Now we’re down to 24. No more cuts until the judges study the tapes and confer, after seeing everyone’s final solos. And before they leave Vegas, the dancers are in for a treat. For the first time in SYTYCD history, the dancers are going to learn what it takes to “be a star.” Grover Dale is a special guest who gives them special training. He tries to make sure they will claim any choreography they’re given and make it their own. And the dancers love it.

Now it’s time for their final solos. Lauren Froderman is the first to dance and she gets a standing ovation from the majority. I would have given her a standing o too if I hadn’t been taking furious notes. The rest of the solos look amazing. Actually, I would have liked to see more of the solos than spend the entire second hour of this show traveling with judges to reveal the top 10. How do I really feel? Pissed. I think it’s cruel and unnecessarily suspenseful to waste an hour of my time this way. I don’t know how much time passed between Vegas week and the notifications, but I’m sure each and every one of those 24 dancers was in agony. Wouldn’t you be? For some of them, they think this is the most important thing that will happen in their lives. And that may be true professionally but in the meantime, they probably feel powerless. They don’t know what their futures hold. I guess I can understand why Fox thought it would be good TV but I was really disappointed. And I’m sure it won’t be the last time. I’m not even going to detail the sorrow, shock, and immense disappointment I had to watch 13 dancers go through.

Here is your Top 11:

Adechike Torbert
Ashley Galvan
Alex Wong
Alexie Agdeppa
Billy Bell
Cristina Santana
Jose Ruiz
Lauren Froderman
Kent Boyd
Melinda Sullivan
Robert Roldan

I’m really excited about Season 7. I’ll see you back here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment