Sunday, June 13, 2010

So You Think You Can Dance: First Look Season 7 by Kara Howland

Are you as excited about this season as I am? If tonight is any indication, I’m going to love seeing the top 11 get paired up with the All-stars to perform. And it’s so nice seeing the All-stars back on that stage. I have to admit I’m a bit worried that some of the All-stars will outshine the top 11, but I promise to do my best to critique just the competitor. Starting next week.

So who all the SYTYCD All-stars? Ade, Allison, Anya, Comfort, Courtney, Dominic, Kathryn, Lauren, Mark, Neil, Pasha, and Twitch.

I didn’t expect that All-stars to participate in the group dance. I’m not sure why, I just didn’t. The piece was fun and very Wade Robson. All the newbies look strong.

Let me take a moment, as I will every week, to discuss Cat’s wardrobe. I like her summery swing dress with the simple hair. Another homerun.

Of course that was an Amanda & Wade Robson piece. Is that them sitting at the judge’s table? I’m intrigued. They are joined by the regulars: Adam, Mia, and Nigel.

Before the competition officially starts next week each dancer has been asked to perform in their own style, with help from an All-star of course. This should be a real treat.

Performers: Lauren and Kent with All-stars Mark and Kathryn
Paris is Burning / St. Vincent
Travis Wall / Jazz
Comments: Oh, I like that there are four dancers on the stage right now. The costumes are great. Very evocative. I’m seeing great technique from all. Great spotlight moments for Ken and Lauren but also for Mark and Kathryn.
Judge’s critiques
Travis: Set in 1920s in Paris about the dark and twisted people who come out at night to celebrate the fallen empire.
Adam: Tells Travis that was so good it was sick. Stands up for Kent and Lauren. “I told ya so.” He thinks the other dancers should be scared of Kent. He thinks Lauren’s amazing.

Performers: Alexie and Melinda with All-stars Allison and Lauren
There’s Gotta Be Something Better Than This / Sweet Charity (Original Broadway Cast)
Tyce Diorio / Broadway
Comments: I’m actually enjoying this Broadway piece. Great jumps and arm work. Great personality. Very enjoyable.
Judge’s critiques
Tyce: Absolutely fantastic working with Alexie and Melinda. They’re passing on something that’s real. They are fantastic and individual.
Nigel: The best complement he can pay them is he couldn’t tell the differences between the competitors and the All-stars. Alexie certainly has the technique and Melinda has the talent that will shine through. They both need to find the fire now.

Performers: Jose with All-stars Comfort, Twitch, and Dominic
Din Daa Daa (District 78 Remix) / George Kranz
Tabitha & Napoleon / Hip Hop
Comments: I’m mostly a fan of Nappy Tabs and I thought it was really fun. Great spirit and energy. I think it’s hard to stand out from these All-stars and Jose did a great job of just that.
Judge’s critiques
Tabitha & Napoleon: They are so proud of Jose. He wasn’t intimidated. This was an initiation into the SYTYCD family.
Adam: Jose is fantastic. He’s so happy Jose is here. He’s representing so strong. So important to bring performance every week. Get out there and be the best.

Performers: Cristina with All-stars Anya and Pasha
Work (Freemasons Radio Edit) / Kelly Rowland
Jason Gikison / Latin
Comments: Wow. Very sexy. Great tricks. So much fun. I love seeing Anya and Pasha again. I have to admit Anya is kinda stealing the show for me right now.
Judge’s critiques
Jason: Not easy to choreograph for three people in Ballroom. Cristina is amazing.
Nigel: Anya and Pasha are two of the greatest Latin dancers in the show’s history and in the world. He felt the competition between the girls. Nigel wants Cristina to make sure she picks up her feet a little.

Performers: Alex and Billy with All-star Ade
This Bitter Earth/On The Nature of Daylight / Dinah Washington/Max Richter
Mia Michaels / Contemporary
Comments: Wow. Alex is an amazing technician. Sometimes I don’t get Mia’s pieces and I didn’t really get this. There was some great dancing but I would have liked to seen these three dancers actually dance together.
Judge’s critiques
Mia: It’s so good to be back and to have these dancers on this stage. Time is a very heightened thing right now (probably because she lost her mother recently). The journey of time is very precious, the journey of life. Billy is a freak of nature. Alex is technical, a stallion, a beast. Now they have to take it and translate it into different styles.

Performers: Adechike, Ashley, and Robert with All-stars Neil and Courtney
Freak / Estelle feat. Kardinal Offshall
Sonja Tayeh / Jazz
Comments: A very Sonja piece. Loving it. Great energy. Amazing technique by all. That was really fun to watch.
Judge’s critiques
Sonja: She can’t contain herself. She knows how difficult dance is and she knows what she expects from them. Every single one of them pushed more and conquered it. Adechike is not an underdog. He’s standing here, doing it. Ashley and Robert showed constant improvement. She’s excited.

Um, I’m crazy excited about this season. We saw amazing technique, great heart, and a little bit of fire. Of course the top 11 won’t be at the top of their game yet but I saw some peeks at greatness tonight. Who is your favorite and why? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment