Monday, June 14, 2010

Drop Dead Diva: Back From the Dead by Kara Howland

Ok, I have to admit something. Last week’s preview of tonight’s show scared me. I didn’t want to believe Tony was a cheater. I know, I know he and Jane are taking things slow and of course they haven’t had the “exclusive” talk yet. But, still. Tony just didn’t seem like the type of person to do that to Jane. So imagine my surprise – and relief – when the situation turned out to be a lot more innocent than it seemed. And a lot more serious. I can’t believe this is the end of Tony and Jane!

So, just who is Tony’s sexy mystery date at the restaurant and why isn’t he returning Jane’s calls? I love how Jane compares her dating life now with her dating life as Deb but I’m not sure it’s an accurate comparison. Every woman I know – fat, skinny, ugly, pretty – has waited by the phone for a guy to call or been stood up. I think it’s interesting that Deb never seemed to go through any of the trouble us regular girls do. So, maybe it really is a good thing she’s come back in Jane’s body to see what it is to struggle and second guess yourself. We all go through moments of self-doubt and confusion and Jane certainly does after she sees Deb randomly pop up a few times.

It turns out that Deb’s birthday is right around the corner and Jane forgot about it. She wants to celebrate it with her bestie, but Stacy already has plans. Grayson has invited a small group of her closest friends to celebrate Jane’s life. They’re moving on even though their lives are a little less sparkly. It’s a very touching gesture and just proves again how thoughtful Grayson is. Speaking of which, I don’t feel like we’ve been seeing enough of Grayson lately. I want more! Don’t you?

I do appreciate that we see a little more of Parker this week. When he sees Kim is taking on a new client, who also happens to be his “invisible wingman,” Parker is more than happy to sit in on that meeting. When it turns out that Jonathan Noble is just the penname for Susan Sembly they are both surprised. It turns out Susan could make more money, get more assignments, and have more respect as a guy. She paid an actor for his headshot and now he’s taken over the character. He’s even gone so far as to legally change his name. With this guy threatening her livelihood, Susan outs herself on Jonathan’s blog. And it turns out her higher ups are delighted because the reader response has been great. But I hope this isn’t the last we’ve seen of Susan. She would be such a great challenge – and foil – for Parker.

Before I get to Jane’s case-of-the-week let’s briefly catch up with Kim. I really enjoy her adversarial relationship with Fred this week. We all know Fred needs a job and when Kim mistakenly assumes he’s her new temp, she really puts him through the ringer. She throws new assignments at him left and right and tries to trick him. But as Fred’s already been a desk jockey for the man upstairs, there isn’t much he can’t handle. After Fred calls Kim out, she seems to realize she’s found the perfect assistant and offers him a permanent position. Jane’s not happy Fred is working for her sworn enemy but Fred admits he took the job because he can look after Jane better from the office. And that, after all, is his real job.

And speaking of Jane, her simple declaration of death case turns into something much bigger after Daniel Porter turns up alive. Not only did he survive the plane crash nine years ago but he’s been living as Tim Smith ever since. His mother, believing he’s still alive, has been taking out ads in local papers and that seemed to snap Daniel out of his fugue state. He had no idea who he was until it all came rushing back. To make it worse, his wife Lindsay has moved on with his best friend and is trying to adopt his son Noah. Even though Daniel has never met Noah he’s fighting for joint custody so he can get to know his son. During the course of the trial Lindsay’s lawyer tries to make Daniel out as an unfit parent. Just before the judge is set to rule Daniel and his mother disappear. Jane tracks them down at the bus station, where Daniel admits he’s experienced a fugue state before. When he was ten, he didn’t know who he was for 3 days. He just doesn’t know if he can do that to his son. If he’s going to be in his life Daniel really wants to be there. If there’s a chance he’ll disappear again Daniel figures its better not to get to know his son.

I found this week’s case to be very moving. And I’m not saying fighting for a child’s life (last week’s case) is less dramatic but because this case is so closely connected to what Jane’s going through I really felt invested. At first, I was getting very upset that Lindsay would try to keep Daniel away from his child. And I couldn’t help thinking that they’d be at a loss to explain their actions and decisions to Noah once he’s old enough to start asking questions. I do like the way the case ended. Life isn’t always black and white and I appreciate an ambiguous ending. I can’t know what’s right for that family and I have to respect the choices they make for themselves. I can be sad for Daniel though. I can’t imagine living with the possibility of losing all my memories and sense of self.

Enough with the heavy, here are a few quotes from this week that made me laugh:

“The second message robs you of your power.”

“Pleated pants kill romance.”

What did you think about this week’s episode? Do you think Jane and Tony are really over? Will Parker try to make something work with Susan? When will we get some more back story on Teri? I’ll see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment