Saturday, June 26, 2010

Snap Judgment_Hot in Cleveland by Tina Charles

This isn't so much a snap judgment since I decided to watch two episodes before making my mind up about the TV Land sitcom. Here's the thing. It could use a lot more laughs. I laughed a few times during the series premiere but in the second episode I probably laughed once. Having said that, there's something really comforting about a show that features stars we've enjoyed in shows from years past. I like all the actresses involved: the greatness that is Betty White (The Golden Girls, Mary Tyler Moore); Valerie Bertinelli (One Day at a Time, Jenny Craig), Jane Leeves (Frasier) and Wendie Malick (Just Shoot Me). Too bad they don't have better material but at this point I don't know if I really care since this sitcom sort of takes me back to the sitcoms from the 70s, 80s and 90s. And that retro feel starts at the very beginning with the "this show was recorded in front of a live studio audience" voiceover. The whole premise is contrived and the writing is stilted but I do hope the dialogue and jokes improve as the series goes along. Bonus points for the John Schneider guest star appearance in the premiere, however. It's always good to see him. Hot in Cleveland isn't so much hot as it is lukewarm but I think TV Land is wise to air this show during the summer when it doesn't have as many sitcom competitors (sitcom-petitors?).

No comments:

Post a Comment