Monday, June 28, 2010

Drop Dead Diva: Home & Away by Kara Howland

Jane’s memories of Deb help Grayson’s case, Terri gets way more screen time – and a great storyline, and something is going on between Kim and Parker.

I don’t know about you but I am not that happy about this Kim and Parker development. I don’t think I’m the only one holding out hope that Parker and Ricki Lake’s Susan would become something, am I? I mean, I do understand that it’s easier (and probably cheaper for the production budget) to get two regular characters to hook up but does it have to be these two? I like Kim bitchy and bitter and if she actually finds happiness with Parker (which would be a miracle) I just don’t know where we’d be. Since I brought them up let’s look a little closer.

We know Kim and Parker shared a drink at the end of last week’s episode. And we know something is going on because Parker brings Kim a coffee in the morning. My first reaction – and I even wrote this down in my notes – was that they slept together. And I was so happy when that turned out not to be the case but quite frankly, I think it’s just a matter of time before that happens. The coffee sparked Fred’s curiosity which led him to introduce himself to Parker’s executive assistant David. David, the soul of discretion, refused to give Fred the lowdown. In the meantime, David and Fred become fast friends. Jane warns Fred that David is gay and is possibly making a move but David is committed and just wants to be friends. Fred’s whole “you can’t tell just by looking at someone” attitude makes me laugh. I admit that I have very faulty gaydar but his naïveté is interesting considering his previous job. I love him anyway.

We got a little more facetime with Grayson this week which has been sorely overdue. He and Kim are tag-teaming on an assault and battery case. Having just served as a juror on an assault case, I feel my expertise and insight will be especially helpful here. I’m totally kidding. I did learn a lot during my jury tenure though and I hope if you’re ever called, you will serve. End of lesson. Back to show. Helen is accused of assault and battery after she punches the coach of her little girl’s basketball team. The charter of the team states that everyone plays regardless of ability.

Even though Helen doesn’t think she hit the coach that hard he’s wearing a neck brace and his x-rays show damage to his neck. During the first meeting the coach keeps looking at a picture of Deb. It turns out Jane knows him as Aspen Jack. Deb dated him before she met Grayson and he’s not such a nice guy. She didn’t learn until later that he was married with two kids while they dated. And during their vacation in Aspen, Jack was served up a helping of karmic justice when he got hurt on the slopes and ended up in a neckbrace.

Stacey is sent on a mission to recover the incriminating picture from Deb’s scrapbook, which happens to be in Grayson’s house. Now that Grayson is moving Jane is worried he might find the picture. She strategically cuts Deb out of the picture and makes sure it gets into Grayson’s hands. They use it to prove that the damage was preexisting. I hope Aspen Jack is ashamed of himself. I know there are a lot of people out there who take advantage of people but I’m glad he doesn’t get away with it. Oh, and Grayson decides not to move.

And what’s going on with our Jane this week, you ask? She and Tony are in a sex haze. Well, not so much a haze as a happy place. They’re finally on track and making things work. That whole cauliflower thing is adorable. Leave it to Terri to coitus interruptus – but it turns out to be for a very good cause and I’m happy we get more Terri facetime this week as well. Terri and her cousin Edward are in the slammer. Terri has what must be an astounding number of unpaid parking tickets. Edward comes to her defense and they’re both thrown in jail. To make a long – and somewhat convoluted – story short, Edward is in the country on a tourist visa and he’s being deported back to South Korea immediately.

If Terri and her mom can find out the identity of Edward’s father they should be able to keep him in the country. All they have to go on is a photo of Edward’s father is his military fatigues. But there’s something fishy here. Terri’s mom seems skittish and not very helpful and we soon learn why. Edward’s real father is North Korean and that’s what they use to keep him in the country. Jane argues for asylum and the judge is able to countermand her earlier ruling to keep Edward in the country.

And what else is going on with our Jane, you ask? She and Tony are having sexy time as I mentioned. Apparently I’m so happy about it I had to mention it twice. Tony is in a good place because he got that job as an assistant US Attorney that he wanted and he and Jane finally seem to be in sync. I thought the show might make a bigger deal out of Jane having sex in her new body for the first time but I’m kind of glad they didn’t. But I think we all know a happy Jane isn’t a Jane we’re used to seeing. Tony finds out the department of Justice wants to relocate him to Washington DC. And I know I’m not the only one who was surprised and pleased when he asked Jane to go with him. It was such a lovely gesture and I think it proves how right Tony is for Jane in so many ways. But Jane feels like she’s not done with Los Angeles yet. And if she moved to DC that would be the end of her and Grayson. Even though Jane says she’s moved on her little what-if chat with Parker proves she still holds out some hope on that front. And I do too.

I’ll see you in two weeks. Have a great 4th of July! Oh, and if you’re in Los Angeles check out this upcoming Drop Dead Diva event.

No comments:

Post a Comment