Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Snap Judgment_Memphis Beat: It’s Alright Mama by Kara Howland

I like TNT. I’m a big fan of The Closer and almost all of the procedurals they re-run every day. I’m not sure the world needs another cop show but I like Jason Lee (even though I didn’t watch My Name is Earl) and I love Alfre Woodard. I wouldn’t say I had high hopes for this show but I thought it might be another cop show I could add to my repertoire. I only made it nineteen minutes into the hour. Usually I like to watch the entire show before I make up my mind up there were two eye-rolling incidents I just couldn’t get past.

The first moment happened when Jason Lee’s Detective Dwight Hendricks was able to come up with the identity of the lost/missing person he was ordered to help so quickly. Even though the detectives usually don’t take on a 10-15, the new lieutenant ordered him to take the case. Lo and behold, it actually turns into something. My second issue surfaced when Dwight started to wax poetic about some Sam Cooke song and how it worked its sexy magic on the parents of some of the cops there. I realize the history of Memphis is saturated in music - which I like - and that things are done a little differently in the south (I grew up in the South so I really do know) but it came off as disingenuous and a bit insulting to me.

There’s some great talent here, but I won’t be watching this show. I do have one question for anyone who knows a little something about Memphis. Are there really that many Elvis impersonators there?

No comments:

Post a Comment