Sunday, June 27, 2010

Snap Judgment_Rookie Blue: Fresh Paint by Kara Howland

We start out in a bar as the new recruits are cuffed. We don’t know they’re new recruits yet (well, we do if we have any idea what the title means). The first rookie to get out of their cuffs – by any means necessary – drinks for free. The blonde chick (we don’t know her name yet) manages to get someone to produce a key so she can get uncuffed first The blond girl shows up to work the next day with her dad, who appears to be a chief. Diaz (the warm and fuzzy guy from the previous night) says some sort of prayer before getting out of the car. Nash sneaks out of her cop boyfriend’s car the next morning. Gregory Smith's character bikes to work. And McNally (Missy Peregrym) seems late as she runs up to the entrance. And of course, there’s narration. There is no training, we hear, that prepares you for life on the street. Welcome to precinct 15. Diaz’s new partner is cranky and warms him he has no patience and little team spirit right now. He’s going through a divorce. Nash’s partner is thrilled to get “Jenny from the Block” and makes it clear that her huge – and may I say ugly – bag isn’t coming in the car. McNally’s new partner is munching on a pastry. Her partner recognizes the name but she doesn’t give him anything.

I had pretty low expectations coming in so I’m happy to say I didn’t hate this. I also didn’t like it enough to get past the “introductions phase.” I like Missy Peregrym but everyone and everything seems pretty stereotypical and if I’m going to watch a cop show I want some originality and perhaps a bit more grit. This seems a little too lite for me and honestly, I’m not prepared to watch another show that uses voiceover in this way. I got enough of that from Grey’s Anatomy when I used to watch it. So, unfortunately, I was only able to make it to the 6 minute mark on this one. Ouch. But perhaps is fared better with you. What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment