Friday, June 18, 2010

So You Think You Can Dance: Results Show, The Top 10 Revealed by Kara Howland

I’m still thinking about some of the performances from Wednesday night and feeling energized. I’m confident Alex and Robert are safe but I’m not sure about anyone else. Who do you think is in the bottom three? Let’s find out.

You know I have to take a moment to discuss my Cat Deeley. I love her tartan-inspired look. The hair and makeup are flawless.

You know how the results shows play out. If you want to see who is going home tonight, skip ahead to the end. But first, let’s group dance.

Acapella / Kelis
Cat says the name of the choreographer but I didn’t catch it – even after I TIVOed back. It sounded French. I’ll update the name if I can find it online.
This group dance is with our Top 11 only. Shiny outfits…I likey. There’s some nice acrobatics going on. I’m loving the fact that a lot of this season’s dancers are so physical. They really go after it and throw their bodies into it. Most people are 100% committed and that’s what I want to see. Some great spotlight moments. Interesting. It seemed a little all over the place but it definitely had moments.

According to Nigel July 31st is “National Dance Day” in the US. It’s not just for dancers though. It’s for everyone to get up and move. NappyTabs has created a routine for everyone that can be downloaded from the Dizzy Feet website or from the SYTYCD Facebook page.

The first group up for elimination includes Alex, Robert, Lauren, and Kent. They’re all safe – no surprise there.

The next group up for elimination includes Melinda, Billy, Ashley, and Alexie.

Melinda will be dancing for her life. Nigel isn’t surprised. He doesn’t think the routine helped, it doesn’t make people pick up the telephone. Nigel thinks there may be a lack of warmth with her, wants more honesty in her performance. We’ve got to see the heart.

Alexie will also be dancing for her life. Mia says cute will only take her so far. Her performance last night didn’t show people how hard and long she’s been working to be on this show. She let it slide last night. The show is about growth and stepping into potential. Now she needs to download.
The last group up for elimination includes Jose, Adechike, and Cristina.

Cristina is the last performer who will be dancing for their life tonight. I’m not pleased. I think her performance Wednesday night was really great and I’m not happy that the judges don’t get to add their two bits before the commercial break. Cristina doesn’t deserve to be in the bottom.

Featured Dance Performance: Twyla Tharp’s Come Fly Away
That’s Life / Frank Sinatra
Tony-nominated dancers Karine Plantadit and Keith Roberts
Great character work. Great partner work. Nice strength in both dancers. Keith is so there for her. I’m seeing body positions I’ve never seen before and I’m really enjoying it. Great job. I almost didn’t think Keith would get his jacket on fast enough to catch her. Drama!

The Solos

Melinda
I Got The Feelin’ / James Brown
She’s great in her style. Nice performance level. Great feet. Great personality.

Alexie
I’ve Been Loving You Too Long / Otis Redding
She’s a great performer. Contemporary is absolutely a strong suit. She’s putting great emotion in there but I’m not feeling it as much as I want to be.

Cristina
La Guarachera / Celia Cruz & Tito Puente
She’s got great fire. She makes salsa fun. I’m not familiar with this style of dance as much as others but I think she got out there and had fun. She’d better be safe. Really.

I don’t believe in critiquing musical performances during the show unless they’ve got a serious performance element. And Usher has that; he’s a great dancer and performer. I’m not too upset when he shows up to perform O.M.G. I could watch Usher dance all night. I wanted the female dancers to actually be dancing – not just humping the stage (or whatever they were doing) – but I guess I can’t have it all. The male dancers were great but they can’t hold a candle to Usher.

I don’t know about you but I don’t have Bieber Fever and would never usually talk about a music video here. But I have to admit there was some really cool dancing going on. Different styles, cultures, etc. I liked it.

It’s about that time. What do the judge’s think about the bottom 3? Nigel says they’ve made up their minds and they’re unanimous. Melinda gets her critique first. Her style is cool and cute. She needs to bring some fire. That really helps them decide whether or not to keep the dancer in the competition. Cristina brings the fire but not the steps. For sure, they all felt she was dancing for her life tonight. Alexie is very contained in her movement tonight. She must learn to dance to the extent of her movement. She’s somewhat juvenile in her dance style.

And Alexie is the first one to leave the competition. Adam tells Alexie she’s so talented and so beautiful and so hire-able. They love her. She didn’t throw enough light and shade into it. Mia wants her to know they love her and support her and she’ll always be a part of this family. She will work.

I’m sad but I can see how the judges think Cristina and Melinda have more potential. I’m very happy Cristina didn’t go home. Her performance on Wednesday should have kept her out of the bottom.

What did you think about tonight’s show? Did the right person go home?

No comments:

Post a Comment