Thursday, June 24, 2010

So You Think You Can Dance: The Top 9 Revealed by Kara Howland

After last night’s tough critiques, I’m waiting with baited breath to see who’s in the bottom 3. Are your favorites in danger or are they safe? Skip to the end to find out.

In the meantime, Cat is rocking a smoky eye and black mini with an asymmetrical zipper. She looks amazing.

Let’s group dance.
Royal T / Crookers feat. Roisin Murphy
I’d say it’s a Jazz piece, probably choreographed by Sonja. Yep, it is.
It’s great. Very moody and evocative. The short part featuring the guys is pretty amazing. There are so many good dancers this year – their technical ability is insane. Now everyone is back together. Those outfits are a bit wacky, but really cool. Strange and awesome. Loved it. Love Sonja.

More about National Dance Day. It’s on July 31st if you’ve forgotten already. Go to fox.com/dance and tell and/or show them what your plans are for that day. You might end up on TV. Sounds cool.

The first group up is Kent, Adechike, and Cristina.

Cristina’s in the bottom again. Boo! Why don’t people vote for her? She doesn’t deserve to be there.
Adam: Cristina was fabulous. He’s shocked; he doesn’t get it. She needs to fight.

The next group up is Alex, Ashley, Melinda, and Jose.

As I suspected, Melinda is in the bottom again. It’s interesting though. Watching the highlight package tonight, I feel like I did see Melinda’s lines and technique that for some reason I just didn’t see last night. Actually, I think I was so confused and disappointed by the piece yesterday that I refused to see it.
Nigel: Not sure what the audience didn’t see but there’s something missing. He wants her to show her vulnerability. She needs to find something that allows her to connect with people. He even suggests the reason she’s in the bottom again might have been the dress (I did hate it).

The last group up is Lauren, Billy, and Robert.

Robert is the final contestant dancing for his life. I’m not surprised. I didn’t love his performance last night even though I adore him.
Mia: She’s shocked. She knows she was a little harsh last night. He is one of their favorite performers this season. She tells him to fight with everything he’s got.

Guest Performance No. 1
It’s Bryan Gaynor. Yay! I love watching him dance. And he’s back on the show, this time with his crew Remote Control
Agnus Dei / Eskmo
I like their cool outfits. Very interesting beginning. They’re great. Actually their amazing. These guys are real technicians. I don’t even want to type it’s so cool. Their fluidity and quality of movement are sick! Wow. WOW.

Solos
Cristina
Quimbara / Celia Cruz & Johnny Pacheco
Nice fire. Great technique. She’s really working that upper body. Nice job. She’s got great spirit.

Melinda
Heels / Q-Tip
She’s fun in her style. Great job. Great performer. She gives us more to look at then just her feet, which I like. Really nice job.

Robert
Everywhere I Go / Lissie
He’s great. Nice big movement. Showing us his great technique and really nice emotion. He was really dancing for his life.

Guest Performance No. 2
Debi Nova singing Drummer Boy is backed by six SYTYCD all-stars. Nice. Maybe the producers finally figured out we’re way more interested and invested if there’s actual dancing during the musical performance.

For me the song is kind of forgettable but it’s so nice to see the all-stars dancing. Yay! I am surprised to see Comfort amongst this group because I think she’s strongest in Hip Hop. But she’s totally holding her own.

Random aside: Cat is so tall. Wow. I still love my towering giant.

It’s about that time. The judge’s decision is not unanimous this week. Nigel asks Robert to step forward. As he knows, they lost a girl last week. It would be easy to send Robert home but they’re going to give him another week. Robert leaves the stage.

Next up is Melinda. He doesn’t know what it is. The public isn’t connecting with her. It was his opinion to let Melinda go but Mia and Adam are insistent that she stays. Melinda leaves the stage.

Cristina is going home. Nigel tells her she was absolutely brilliant last night. She’s grown beyond what they thought. Her work ethic is good but she can be just a bit slow. They wish her love and give her so much respect for what she does.

I have to admit I am disappointed. I think Cristina had two great performances in the last few weeks. But the judge’s are the ones calling the shots right now so I guess I have to accept their decision. I don’t know if I can respect it, but I’ll accept it.

What did you think? Did the right dancer leave the competition tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment