Thursday, July 8, 2010

So You Think You Can Dance: The Top 7 Revealed by Kara Howland

I am very interested to see who will join Alex in the bottom 3 this week. I won’t be happy if either of our girls is there. But first, let’s group dance.

When We Dance / Sting
Heavenly theme. Interesting. Very nice partner work. Great control shown by the couples so far. Did I just see Billy in a dress? Or a skirt? Hmm, I think it’s a bit weird to have Ade in the group dance. I would have preferred just our top 8 but I guess he’s taking Alex’s place. It was strange and interesting. Very Mia. Which reminds me, why haven’t we seen Mary or Hi Hat choreograph anything yet this season? Things that make you go hmmmm.

Cat looks lovely as always. I like the clever cut out dress and that’s a great belt. The hair thing is a bit too much for me but I think she’s pulling it off.

Adam is being congratulated on his Emmy nominations for the Oscars. And SYTYCD received three nominations. Stacey Tookey and Mia Michaels are nominated as well as Amy Strozzi for makeup. Former contestant Chelsie Hightower is nominated for the other dancing show that shall remain nameless. Nigel also mentions that Glee received 19 nominations. I heart that show.

Nigel reminds us about Dance Day on July 31st – promoting health and wellness. A congresswoman is introducing a bill to make July 31st a National Dance Day. Apparently there will be a flash mob in Washington DC to celebrate it. That’s cool. Promoting health is always good and I do enjoy a good flash mob.

Let’s find out who’s in danger of going home.

The first two dancers up are Billy and Lauren. Billy is in danger. Adam says that he imagines either allergies or a lot of voters who are dog lovers put Billy in the bottom. Adam says it’s not about the dancing. He doesn’t think Billy deserves to be there. He wants Billy to forget he’s in a competition and go out there and just bring joy to that stage.

The last five dancers up are Kent, Adechike, Ashley, Robert, and Jose. Ashley is also in the bottom. What? What?? Mia doesn’t know why Ashley is here. Mia does have something to say to Adechike. She acknowledges that she came across as harsh and insensitive. She apologizes if she hurt him. Mia saw Adechike’s light dim this week. There is such greatness in him and she wants to see him soar. She’ll always be tough-love Mama Mia.

Which All-stars are we being reintroduced to this week? Anya and Pasha. I love them so much. They are amazing ballroom dancers. I forgot that they originally tried out together. Cat reminds us they’ve never partnered on the SYTYCD stage until now, which isn’t technically true. The two of them danced with Cristina before the competition officially started. They didn’t dance as a couple but they have danced together on this stage. I’m just sayin’.
Magic Carpet Ride (No Comprende Edit) / Mighty Dub Katz
They are so flipping good. Amazing technique. Unbelievable chemistry. They are really working it. Nice ending. I loved every second of it. Cat calls them hot. I call them sexy. Random side note: I love Anya as a blonde.

Who’s going home? It’s not that time yet.

Our first musical performance for the night is from In the Heights featuring Tony award winner Lyn-Manuel Miranda. Normally I don’t feel guilt about fast-forwarding through a performance I’m not that interested in. Once upon a time I used to see Broadway shows all the time so I watched it. The audience sure liked it.

The solos

Billy
To Build a Home / The Cinematic Orchestra
Still brilliant. I’m feeling his passion and we’re seeing his beautiful technique. I think he’s really leaving it all out on that stage tonight.

Ashley
Lost (Acoustic) / Anouk
Wow. I feel like she’s really grown since the beginning of the competition. She’s leaving it all out on the floor as well. That was powerful and impressive.

The next musical guest is Natasha Bedingfield performing her new song Touch. I’m a fan of her music so I’ll watch. And I relish almost any opportunity possible to see the All-stars dance. Natasha Bedingfield is great. I really enjoy her and the dancing is great. Really fun choreography.

It’s judgment time.

Nigel tells Cat they are unanimous. He asks Alex to move forward. The results of the MRI are in. Alex has suffered a lacerated Achilles tendon. He’s having an operation on Tuesday to repair it and then he’ll need to recuperate for three months. Alex is out of the competition this year but he’s invited back for next year. That means Ashley and Billy are safe.

How do the judges feel about this? Nigel tells Alex this will strengthen him and make him a better dancer. Mia tells Alex he’s left a mark on the show and in the world. He’s a special artist and human being. Adam says Alex taught us the best can be better and calls Alex an inspiration.

Wow. Alex has been something of a revelation – at least to me- this season so we’d better see him back on the show next year. I hope the surgery goes well and he takes the time he needs to get better. Alex is grateful for the opportunity and he loves them all. Alex will remember learning so much every week. He doesn’t regret anything. It seems like he was going to say something to Kent but got cut off. It’s hard to see Alex leave but I guess it just wasn’t meant to be there year. Sadness.

What did you think? Did you tear up at the end like me?

No comments:

Post a Comment