Monday, July 26, 2010

Drop Dead Diva: A Mother’s Secret by Kara Howland

Kim discovers that Parker is jealous of Grayson, Jane inadvertently tells Grayson to keep pursuing Vanessa after a disastrous first date, and Deb’s mother Bobbie reveals that she has another daughter, a half-sister Deb never knew about.

Let’s start with Kim first. Sometimes (and I don’t know how) I forget what a b*tch Kim can be. But I think I’ve mentioned before I want my Kim cranky and mean or not at all. Fred handles her so well and gives her a kind of cosmic comeuppance when he steers a case her way. Although it’s not a “partnership material” case, Kim reluctantly takes it. She asks Grayson to second chair as she has no love for Barry, a chimp. Grayson, on the other hand, loves Animal Planet and gets the judge to consider treating Sonny like a human being instead of property. Even though Kim and Grayson give it their all – and Parker gets to talk to a reporter because of the notoriety of this case – they loose in the end. I cried when Mike had to say goodbye to Sonny and cheered when Mike’s ex said Sonny belongs with him. Very heartwarming.

Not so heartwarming is the grenade that lands in Jane’s lap this week. Not only does she have to treat her mother – her real mother – as an acquaintance but she learns Deb had a half-sister she never knew about. And, of course, that half sister is in jail. Not only has she been charged with stealing from the company but she’s got a prior narcotics charge on her record. In addition to all that, Samantha Colby – the half sister, wants no part of them. It’s only after Jane steps in to argue for her in court (when her public defender can’t or won’t) that Sam reluctantly accepts help. Bobbie, perhaps in an effort to make up for lost time, puts her house up for collateral to get the bail money for Sam.

And it looks like Bobbie might be on the road to losing her house when video evidence of Sam stealing the hard drive is presented in court. She hasn’t been telling Jane the entire truth. She did steal the hard drive but it was her idea to begin with. She wanted to use technology to make an everyday product better – in this case nail polish. It’s exciting because Sam has invented a nail polish that will change colors, a nail polish that can go from day to night after a simple flash of light. The CEO of the cosmetics company, who is in partnership with the lab where Sam works, inspired Sam to invent this product. He gave a speech to her class when she was still at school and with his help; Sam proves that it was her idea. The charges are dropped and Sam gets her job back with a big promotion. Afterwards, Sam and Bobbie ask Jane to come out to dinner to celebrate with them. It’s exactly what Jane needed.

The one thing that made my not-so-happy in this episode was the opposing counsel in Kim and Grayson’s case. She was way over-the-top. And I don’t blame the actress. I blame the writing. If she wasn’t written that way the actress wouldn’t have portrayed her that way. And she was beyond obnoxious. And I don’t have to have character like that cramming information down my throat that should or will make me sympathetic to Sonny’s plight. I’m already sympathetic. I was just disgusted with her. It almost ruined the whole storyline for me.

Random
- It was nice to see so many familiar faces in this week’s episode. And by that I mean Sharon Lawrence, Robins Givens, and Leelee Sobieski. I would have liked to see Robin Givens a little more and perhaps not playing such a nasty character but it’s nice to see her back on television.

- Chimps are the only animals besides human beings who make tools. They can also laugh.

- Fred thinks Brangelina is a high fiber cereal. Awesome.

Now that Grayson seems to be off the market again, this time with Vanessa, I’d like to see Jane make an attempt to wade back out into the dating pool. Tony is great but he’s in DC. And I don’t want to see her sitting around pining after Grayson. That’s no fun. I’m trying to think of who would be another great guest star to play her new beau. We’ve had so many great ones lately. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment