Friday, July 16, 2010

So You Think You Can Dance: The Top 6 Revealed by Kara Howland

So who will join Ashley in the bottom three tonight? Will Ashley be well enough to continue in the competition? I hope so but as a few of my friends pointed out, she wasn’t even in the audience last night which seems like a bad sign to me.

But first, the delectable Cat. I like the bright yellow and I like the headband look. The makeup seems just a bit heavy but I’ll allow it.

Let’s group dance.
Charleston (from Billion Dollar Baby) / Jerome Robbins Broadway
I don’t now how I feel about All-stars and this years competitors dancing together in the group dance. I kind of want to focus on the people still in the competition. But I am enjoying this Broadway number. There’s a lot going on and it’s fun. Choreographed by Tyce Diorio.

National Dance Day is July 31st. Since they mention it every week I don’t think we can forget. There will be flash mobs all over the place – DC, LA, Chicago, and worldwide.

First up are Lauren and Kent. They’re both safe. Not surprising.

Special Performance #1
From Mary Murphy’s champion ballroom academy in San Diego coached by Olga Ginzburg and Igor Ustymovych it’s Fernando Martingullans and Lauren Vayser.
Jailhouse Rock / Elvis Presley
Ok. I didn’t expect them to be so young. This should be adorable. Wow, they’re more than adorable. They’re really great. Amazing technique. It’s funny because their long limbs look a little awkward but they’re so good. And it was adorable.

Adechike and Billy are the next pair up. Billy’s in the bottom three. Boooooooooooooooooooo. I knew it. He was so good last night. It’s really disappointing. Mia says he’s breaking down the walls of technical coldness. Last night there was lightness and fun. He’s just dancing now. His personality is starting to shine through. Mia tells Billy he’s going in the right direction.

Jose and Robert are the final pair up. Jose is in the bottom. Wow. I’m happy he’s there, he needs to be. Adam is wringing his hands. Adam wants to know how Jose feels to have made it this far. Jose says it’s an honor. It feels great. He’s surprised he hasn’t been in the bottom three before because he expects to be there every week. Adam gives him the reality: Jose signed up for a dance competition. He knows what he’s got to do.

Special Performance #2
From Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater. With an excerpt from Ullyses Dove’s Bad Blood Jamal Roberts and Rachael McClaren.
Gravity’s Angel / Laurie Anderson
Wow. They are acrobatic. There’s a little too much energy at the beginning but Rachel recovers nicely. Jamal is killing it. So powerful. Great precision. Nice tricks. He is so there for his partner in every way. Great ending but I feel like it was a little bit weird. I watched closely and didn’t type as much as I should have. I’ll say it’s not traditionally pretty but I don’t need that. I liked it.

This week’s All-star featured dancers are Twitch and Comfort. I’m so happy they’re going to dance their Hip Hop piece from Season 4. This is why I love me some Dave Scott.
Forever / Chris Brown
Wow, I feel like Comfort is bringing it more then she originally did. They are hitting it really hard. It’s so hot. I’m loving it. Was it a little different this time? I’m going to watch it again…. Still as awesome the second time. I’ll agree with an earlier statement Nigel made. Comfort is getting better. She really brought it tonight. And Twitch is as awesome as ever.

Solos

Billy
Stand By Me / Ben E. King
He is amazing in his solos. I’m seeing pretty flawless technique. I feel like his emotions are fully engaged. I love him.

Jose
Chicken Bone Circuit / RJD2
Great tricks. He’s throwing a lot of great stuff in there. Very nice job but he’s so great in his own style.

Musical Performance
Christina Perri is performing Jar of Hearts. After Stacey Tookey used it for one of her pieces, the song ended up on the top 100 chart. Nice job SYTYCD viewers. I know I make a lot of music purchases after I hear songs on this show. I really like that Christina’s got a string section on the stage with her and that she’s playing the piano. Neil and Allison are great. I don’t really have too much more to say about them. I liked the performance – both vocal and dance.

Who is leaving? Over to Nigel. He asks Jose to step forward. We’ve seen another new character this week. Nigel says he’s showing us a character fighting to stay on the show. It was quite stunning. It’s the fastest Jose’s done those tricks and the most energy he’s put into his breaking. Billy showed us a different style this week. They think he’s on the right road. In his solo they think he went to a default position. Nigel has spoken to both of Ashley’s doctors. She needs between 3 and 5 weeks rest. They have to let her go this week. Wow. I didn’t expect that although by cubicle neighbor Dave Anderson totally called it.

Only one girl remains in the competition. I would have liked to see Ashley stick around for a few more weeks but her health is more important and I do want her to get better. I think Jose got a pass this week. Ee saw him fighting for it, which is great but I need to see more technique from him next week or else it really will be time for him to go home. I also think Billy is on the right path. If he keeps losing himself in the dance I want to believe people will pick up the phone for him. I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment