Monday, July 26, 2010

Random Thoughts on Mad Men: Public Relations by Kara Howland

Warning: This isn't really a recap.

I am so happy Mad Men is back on the air. It's a great summer series that has a lot going on. I often feel like a second or third viewing is needed to get all the nuiance of what's going on in this world. But I don't have time for that. Here are my first-viewing impressions:

- I love Don Draper. He's still very much the same person he's always been but now he's also punishing himself. When the hooker showed up, I literally thought, "Don doesn't need to pay for sex. He can find a willing female almost anywhere." But when she started slapping him around, I get it.

- Peggy vocalizes something Don really needs to hear, which is that they all want to please him. And I think she says it at the exact right time. As we all know, if you displease Don he is going to make you pay for it. He can be extremely unpleasant when you've crossed him.

- Apparently, Pete is allowed to expense whores. He can't get the money to pay the actress who are going to particpate in their little stunt - a stunt that gets out of hand when one of the actresses press charges against the other. But a stunt that gets them some ink and gets the client to spend more money.

- Betty was supposed to vacate the house she shared with Don on October 1 but when Thanksgiving rolls around she's still in residence. Henry can't understand why she won't even start looking for a new place. Betty claims the kids have already been through enough change. But I think she's reluctant to separate entirely from Don and her old life. Who really knows what she's thinking? Betty certainly doesn't.

Matthew Weiner is a genius. I will watch this show as long as he's at the helm of this ship.

What did you think about the episode? Do you, like me, want to see a little more of Joan in the next episode? Which characters do you miss from the Sterling Cooper days if any?

No comments:

Post a Comment