Friday, May 28, 2010

So You Think You Can Dance Auditions: May 27, 2010 by mjcc64


Photo Credit: Jeff Neira/FOX


This is my first blog entry for The Summer TV Blog. I will be covering the So You Think You Can Dance (SYTYCD) audition phase and then another blogger will take over for Vegas and the rest of the season. First off let me say I am happy that SYTYCD is back as a summer reality show. It was always meant for the summer and Fox trying to bring it into the fall schedule did not do it justice so hooray for it being back where it belongs.


The New York and Miami auditions were a great blend of focusing on the excellent dancers as well as showing some of the people who have the audacity to think that they actually can dance. I am of the mind that family and friends should be honest about the level of talent one has and tell them not to go.


I have to mention very quickly: Love! Love! Love! Cat Deeley. It is so refreshing to see a host who loves the show as much as everyone else. She should be nominated for an Emmy!!!



New York: These auditions seemed to have a stronger showing than Miami. I noticed they only devoted about 40 minutes to the Miami auditions. This seems to be reflective of the high number of bad dancers that auditioned.


Teddy Tedholm – I am so happy to see him back after not getting through during the Season 6 Vegas section. He took a different approach this year and presented himself more seriously and he had an outstanding audition. Nigel sent him straight through to Vegas. Hopefully he will keep this new attitude because I really think he deserves a spot in the Top 10.


One of the things that bothered me though, was that they breezed through a group of great dancers and we only got a short glimpse at them.


One of the bad dancers that stood out to me was the Biohazard Remediation Technician Scott Vogel. The fact that he showed up to dance in jeans let me know right away he was not a serious contender. I picture him being very popular at the country line dancing bar in his city and everyone telling him what a great dancer he is and that was enough for him to decide to audition. It is a good thing he says he loves his day job.


In Day 2 of New York, the other person who stood out for me was Megan Carter who is a plus-size dancer. She admitted that Mia Michaels inspired her. It was awesome we found out more about Mia’s history and struggles with her own body size in the industry and that propelled her to become a choreographer. Megan’s initial audition was fabulous. I was so disappointed to see that she did not make it through to Vegas. It was pretty clear she was not keeping up with the choreography.


The Miami auditions were underwhelming. The person who stood out for me was Tyrelle Rolle. My first impression: he was trying to channel Twitch with the big glasses with no lenses. I was totally wrong in my first impression. He is a tremendously talented contemporary dancer. I was blown away by his audition.


They seemed to cover more bad dancers than good. There was one dancer I thought might get through but she did not do well in the choreography round and she was eliminated. Candace Craig tried to play up her super sexiness but the judges told her to tone it down. Unfortunately that did not help her to get through to Vegas because they felt she did not have enough technique. I hope she does audition again. I thought she had some potential but she seemed a little bitter.


No comments:

Post a Comment