Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Random Thoughts on Mad Men: Waldorf Stories by Kara Howland

And the student becomes the master. I don’t know about you but I found this week’s episode fascinating. We are learning a lot by watching the evolution – well, the devolution – of Don Draper. We see him when he’s an eager up and comer in the fur business. He takes his chance with Roger and manages to get a job offer, even though Roger can’t remember it. Much like Don can’t remember much of his weekend. He goes to bed with a brunette on Friday and wakes up with a blonde on Sunday. How does this man not have an STD? He really gets around.

I always enjoy the Don/Peggy dynamic and this week it feels like Peggy is continuing to come into her own. I don’t think we’ll have to worry about this particular pupil ever becoming too much like her teacher but I did like seeing her push the new art director around. It was pretty ballsy to strip down so he (as a nudist) could do the same and feel comfortable. Too bad he was so “distracted” by Peggy’s nudity. She also did the right thing in reminding Don that he basically stole that slogan from Roger’s wife’s cousin. And Don paid for it dearly by having to hire that little shrimp.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again (in a different way): I’m ready for Don to stop living in the gutter. He is such a mess. I want him to wake up and take some responsibility – especially after seeing how low he’s sunk. I don’t need him to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed but perhaps he should cut back on the boozing and whoring. Seriously.

p.s. Did you see a few of the cast members on the cover of Rolling Stone? Check this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment